- 1 Lbs. Salt Pork or Slab Bacon, Diced 1/3"
- 1/4 Cup Reserved Pork or Bacon Fat
- 2 Cups Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Cups Celery, Finely Chopped
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Quarts Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 oz. 23803 Elite Major Fish Stock Base, No MSG Added 00073292238031
- 3 Lbs. Russet Potatoes, Peeled and Diced 1/2"
- 4 Each Bay Leaves
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Lbs. Cod or Haddock Fillets
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Render salt pork and/or bacon over medium heat, until crispy, but not burnt. Remove pork from pot, and set aside. Leave rendered fat in pot
- Add onion, and celery. Cook until vegetables are softened but not browned
- Add water, milk, Major Fish Base, potatoes, bay leaves, pork, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender
- Place a colander into a large bowl
- Drain the soup through the colander, reserving the solids in the colander and the liquid in the bowl.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Blend the reserved broth/milk mixture with a blender/immersion blender until emulsified. Return pot to low heat.
- Add the solids back to the pot. Add the fish fillets and allow 10-15 minutes for fillets to cook/heat through. Do not allow to boil
- Stir Cream into chowder. Gently flake fillets into bite sized pieces
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste
- Hold on Steam Table at 160°F