- 1 Lbs. Salt Pork or Slab Bacon, Diced 1/3 inch
- 1/4 Cup Reserved Pork or Bacon Fat
- 2 Cups Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Cups Celery, Finely chopped
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Quarts Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 oz. 23903 Elite Major Clam Stock Base, No MSG Added 00073292239038
- 3 Lbs. Russet Potatoes, Peeled and Diced 1/2" pcs.
- 4 Each Bay Leaves
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Lbs. Chopped Clams
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Render Salt Pork and/or Bacon over medium heat, until crispy, but not burnt. Remove pork from pot and set aside. Leave rendered fat in pot
- Add onion, and celery. Cook until vegetables are softened but not browned
- Add water, milk, Major Clam Base, potatoes, bay Leaves, pork, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender
- Drain clams through a colander. Reserve the juices in a bowl under the colander
- Drain the soup through the colander containing the clams. Remove the bay leaves.
- Blend the reserved broth/milk mixture with a blender/immersion blender until emulsified. Return pot to low heat.
- Add the clams and potato mixture back to the pot and cook for about 10 minutes or until clams are cooked through. Do not allow mixture to boil
- Stir cream into chowder
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste
- Hold on Steam Table at 160°F