Corn & Crab Chowder
- 1 Lbs. Salt Pork or Slab Bacon, Diced 1/3"
- 1/4 Cup Reserved Pork or Bacon Fat
- 2 Cups Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Cups Celery, Finely Chopped
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Quarts Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 oz. 23003 Elite Major Crab Stock Base, No MSG Added 00073292230035
- 3 Lbs. Russet Potatoes, Peeled and Diced 1/2"
- 4 Each Bay Leaves
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 5 Cups Corn Kernels
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Lbs. Crab Meat
- Render salt pork and/or bacon over medium heat until crispy, but not burnt.
- Remove pork from pot and set aside. Leave rendered fat in pot.
- Add onion and celery and cook until vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Add water, milk, Major Crab Base, potatoes, bay leaves, pork, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Place a large colander into a large bowl
- Drain the soup through the colander and remove the bay leaves
- Blend the reserved broth/milk mixture with a blender/immersion blender until emulsified and return pot to low heat
- Add the corn, crab, potatoes, etc. back to the pot and allow 10 minutes for the corn and crab to cook/heat through. Do not allow to boil
- Stir cream into chowder
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste
- Hold on Steam Table at 160°F